Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Week 4

Mexican Sugar Skulls for Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)


¡Feliz Día De Los Muertos!


This week feels like it went by in the blink of an eye! The days are starting to blend together, and it feels so crazy that I´ve already been in Mexico for a month. I have learned a ton of Spanish but I know once I go into the mission field in a few weeks it will be a whole other world filled with slang and faster speaking. But, I am getting excited! Here in Mexico, everybody is celebrating Día de los muertos ("Day of the Dead" or Mexican Halloween). Yesterday was the kids day, and tonight are more fiestas for the adults. Yesterday we saw this house on the mountain side with strobe lights and music blasting and my companion and I starting to have our own dance party haha. Our teacher dressed up as Minnie Mouse and gave us candy, how sweet! She is really energetic and funny and we always have a blast in class! 

Our district has been making more Latino friends and they are hilarious! We eat have been talking with our friend Elder Gonzalez and played volleyball with their district yesterday and it was a blast. This week our good friends Elder Crapo, Elder Turley, and Elder Burk, who love to play ultimate frisbee with us, left for their missions this week. So that was sad. But we have been making more Latino friends and they are so fun to hang with! Also, Elder Watson and I have made really good friends with the janitor named Adi in our building and he has a really awesome personality. He´s a member of the church and his wife is a teacher here! We love to talk to him in the mornings and he always makes us laugh. Unfortunately, we couldn´t find Roberto to talk to him again! My companion and I are gonna work harder this week to make more friends with the construction workers before they leave. 

I finally found a fellow beatboxer! His name is Elder White and he actually went to my companion´s high school. So we met up after the devotional and exchanged some beats and he was pretty good! It was great to finally feed my craving for beatboxing haha. Then, as I was talking to him, I saw a good buddy of mine from elementary school - Elder Zane Atwood! It was crazy to see him almost 8 years later! He is serving in a northern part of Mexico, right below Texas. It was great to say hi to him!

Today has been such a spiritually uplifting week! On Sunday we were able to watch a Christmas devotional from 2011 given by a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Elder David A. Bednar. He talked about the "Character of Christ" and how in his most difficult moments, Christ turned his love outward and served others, whereas the natural man would turn inward in our times of darkness and pain. He also mentioned that the greatest convert on your mission will be yourself, but you need to turn outward and love the people as the Savior did in order to find yourself. I am so excited for the time I have these next few years to truly develop the character of Christ and put off the natural man (Mosiah 3:19) and extend the love of Christ to those around me! Later that night, we listened to another devotional from a few years back given by Elder Jeffery R. Holland. It was really powerful! He spoke about the way missions are assigned and the inspired revelation from God that is received to know exactly where every missionary needs to be. I know that somewhere in Minnesota there are families who are waiting to hear the message of the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ in Spanish! Also, he talked a lot about how this is not just a 2 year calling, but the start of my eternal journey to become more like Christ and be an instrument in the Lord´s hand in helping bring eternal joy and salvation to his children here on Earth. 

For our devotional on Tuesday we watched a broadcast from the Provo Utah MTC. The President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Elder Russell M. Nelson, addressed us. He spoke about being an "Epistle of God" as we represent the Savior Jesus Christ and the need to have the gospel engraved on our hearts. He also talked about how repentance through the atonement of Christ is a continuous process and we can find strength through the atonement. I know that the power of the atonement is real and we can be forgiven of all our sins because of the sacrifice of our Savior Jesus Christ. I am super excited to see many lives changed as I help people come unto Christ. I know that this church contains the fullness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, the same gospel that was establish on the Earth during his ministry. And that priesthood power and revelation from our loving Heavenly Father are real. I have felt the power and truth of this through the Holy Ghost. I am so thankful for this direct authority from God to work miracles through him!

 Thank you for all of your love and support! I have been blessed with so many amazing examples in my life and I appreciate all of you! ~Para siempre Dios esté con vos~

~Elder Bolinder



Elder Bolinder and Adi - Mexico CCM

The District - Mexico CCM

No comments:

Post a Comment